Men’s health (month) is more than just growing a beard, it is a time to bring to light the fact that we are just plain bad about taking care of ourselves. Here are some quick tips compiled by the ASF staff:
- Sleep more. Among the epidemics sweeping the nation, sleep deprivation is near the top. In fact, there is a strong correlation between lack of sleep and obesity (which will make the list also). See where Ohio ranks and the connection between lack of sleep and gaining weight. Clearly, this is a big deal.
- Get regular annual or biannual physicals, especially if over 40. Areas include optimal hormone levels, blood lipids, blood pressure, fasting blood sugar/glucose, prostate health, stress test, etc. Be as proactive as possible when it comes to health and longevity.
- Reduce belly fat. Abdominal obesity increases your chance of heart disease and can largely be prevented by reducing/eliminating alcohol and refined carbohydrates.
- Be the best son/father/brother you can be.
- Get rid of your ego. We get it: Part of making a man, a man is ego. You are a bad-ass and you want the world to notice. Notice has been taken, so dial it down a few notches. Show some humility every now and then.
- Give more, take less.
- Include multiple days of strength training per week, every week. Forever.
- Quit chasing money. Start chasing greatness.
- De-stress. Stress may be a part of life, but too much can slowly eat away at your health and happiness. Meditate. Practice deep breathing. Smile. Be kind. Give and expect nothing back. Play. Laugh.
- Live your legacy. Don’t wait until your funeral for people to notice your worth and contribution to the world. Do it now!
- Pay it forward. Similar to the above, if you can help any one at any time do any thing, you have an obligation to do that. Pass on your knowledge and wisdom when the circumstances warrant.
- Ask for direction if you’re lost.
- Ask for directions if you’re lost.
- Increase your heart rate via activity/exercise/movement every day for at least 15 minutes.
- Stay true to your core values. If you have not thought about what they are and/or not written them down, try it before the end of the month. It was a game changer for our business and my life.
- Dude, eat some vegetables!
- Unplug, especially an hour before you (want to) go to sleep.
There are certainly more than the above. Stay tuned for more quick tips in a few weeks!